Thursday, December 11, 2008

Writer's Workshop...

I'm a few days too late but I thought I'd do Mama Kat's writers workshop this week since I've been falling behind!!

This weeks prompts were:

1.) Allergies much?
2.) Worst dentist experience ever.
3.) Describe a "new road" you've taken in your life.
4.) What would you say to a mouse who could talk?
5.) Who is the best listener you know? What makes him or her such a good listener?

I guess...since I'm an RDA (registered dental assistant)..I have TONS of dental experiences...but one stands out a whole bunch!!

One day as I was working in one room with a patient, I could hear others working in the other room...I hear the doctor talking to this patients husband, asking about her health, as she had Alzheimer's and wasn't doing too well. The hygienist was finishing up and the doctor went in to do an exam on the patient. While examining her teeth the patient bit down, as hard as she could and the doctors finger was still in her mouth!! I heard the doctor calmly say "Open your mouth please, my finger is still in there" and the patient bit down even harder! The doctor got a little louder and she said "Mrs. Patient, my finger is in your mouth, I need you to open!" The patient still did not open! By this time I had went into the room to see if I could help. I saw the Doctor in panic over her finger being in this patients mouth...she looked so scared! The patient was just laying there, clenched down as hard as she could on the doctors finger. The husband was calmly saying "Dear you have to open your mouth". This poor lady had no idea what was going on. Her mind was so far gone with the Alzheimer's that she was just closing her mouth and had no idea that she was hurting the Doctor!! Finally the hygienist used the mouth mirror and pried the lady's mouth open. The doctors finger was blue! The tip of her finger looked like it was going to fall off! The lady just looked up at her and smiled! Her husband felt so bad and we reassured him that it wasn't her fault...but Mann...was that scurry!! Believe it or not...the next day the Dr's finger was just fine! A little sore, but functional and fine!

So, that's my dental experience! I have tons more!!

4 comments:

Denise said...

Oh my! Was that Dr. V?? How scary!!!!!!

Trina said...

No actually it was at the other office that I was at a few years ago! All bad!

Kimmy said...

Oh man! How scary and OUCH!!!

KatBouska said...

Oh my gosh that had to be PAINFUL!! I just know when one of the babies clamps down on MY finger there is nothing calm about the way I talk. ;)

I just read your comment about your friend...I wonder how many people that happened to!! I'm re doing all the calendars...Costco couldn't help me. :( But it's not as hard as it sounds. Tell her not to delete the calendar that's blank but rather use it as a reference to remember where the pictures are supposed to go. And do NOT use the date importer. UGH.